Monday, February 2, 2009

Week 3_This isn't CUA

As the my third week comes to a close here in Barcelona, I begin to appreciate what I took for granted back at home and at CUA - free meals already cooked and prepared for me, being able to get to studio in 2 minutes as opposed to 20, a dryer, and of course the comfort of being able to converse with everyone around me. I guess its just a lesson I'll have to bring home with me - not to take things for granted and to be happy to enjoy a Pryz burger...

In the architectural scheme of things, I have begun to look at how the architecture of the city informs the culture. The small alleys and roads often become pedestrian pathways and combined with the many shops and restaurants they bring a certain life to the city that is not really found in the US. I like the idea of a pedestrian city and I think that is what I associate Barcelona as. The placas scattered around the city act as gathering spaces and points of reference. The large placas begin to introduce an element of interaction, whereas the smaller more enclosed placas create a sense of intimacy amd privacy. There is something nice about the hierarchy of space in Barcelona, there's an even balance of large Vs. small and private Vs. public.

As for my travels during this past week, we visited the Forum and the open exhibition space surrounding it. It was interesting how the outside exhibition space seemed so grand and open; it was very inviting to the water's edge, however it was sparse. I know there is a great dealof construction and expansion going on surrounding the Forum so I have hope that this will bring the area back up to par with the rest of the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment